The Job Coach
The Job Coach’s Responsibilities
Issues that a job coach would be responsible for addressing are broken into 3 categories:
Employer Related Issues
Some of the things a job coach may have to handle with regards to employers are:
- Unrealistic expectations
- Lack of education
- Unfair discrimination (Salaries, not wanting to adapt)
Issues Outside of the Job
Often job coaches need to assist the disabled employee with or resolve issues that are external to the job life – family problems, social issues or emotional problems. In this case it is important that the job coach has an organization as a back-up or support system so that appropriate referrals can be made if professional advice is needed.
Issues Related to the Impaired Employee’s Work Skills
This is the main function of the job coach and the following are examples of common situations that might arise:
- Impaired employee is not able to manage the number of required tasks.
- Production speed is low
- Level of accuracy is not good
- Difficulty interacting with co-workers and authority figures
- Assertiveness and being taken advantage of
- Inappropriate behaviour (sexual/violent)
- Suitable dress
- Attendance, punctuality and understanding contracts
Job coach intervention in these situations will include:
- Training in specific tasks
- Making lists or reminders
- Developing new sequences
- Adapting work space and environment
- Educating co-workers
- Speaking to family about reinforcing skills
- Helping with bus or transport timetables and routes
Costs to Companies
The Living Link recommends that a job coach sensitises the co-workers before the member commences with work. We suggest 6 initial job-coaching sessions of 1 hour in the first month. This is dependent on the adult, their abilities and the company’s procedures and can differ for each individual. Thereafter 2 hours of job coaching per month for the next 3 months and a 1 hour session per month thereafter for the remainder of a year’s period. If further job coaching is required this is easily negotiated.
We do not charge a placement fee to companies.
Job Coaching is charged out at @ R850.00 per hour.